Limonene, a compound shown to have anti-cancer properties in laboratory animals, is found in the rind of the lemon.
Rosemary and garlic have a number of phytochemicals with bacteria killing and cancer-fighting properties.
Cannellini beans are a high in fiber and protein. They also contain B6, which may contribute to maintenance of healthy immune function.
Rosemary-Lemon White Bean DipYields 2 cups
- 2 cups cooked white beans (i.e. cannellini), drained but moist
- 1 to 3 cloves garlic
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
- The zest of 2 lemons
- Put the beans in the container of a food processor with 1 clove of garlic, along with a pinch of salt, blend and add the ¼ cup olive oil in a steady stream to the mixture, until smooth. Add more garlic, to taste.
- Beat in the rosemary, lemon zest and remaining tbsp of olive oil, add more salt and pepper as needed.
- Use immediately, can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Nutrition Facts/serving: 65 kcals; 4 grams of fat; 2 grams of protein; 1.5grams of fiber; 5 grams of carbohydrates
Recipe credit: Mark Bittman, author of Food Matters Cook Book (2010)